Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Nag Hammadi "THE GNOSTICS" film clip

Mark Goodacre put up an old TV clip about the discovery of the Nag Hammadi Codices. It is a documentary called "The Gnostics" (GB Border TV for Channel 4, tx 7/11/1987 - 5/12/1987) according to the link that Mark provided to the BFI. It appears to be associated with the book published in 1987 by the British filmaker Tobias Churton also called The Gnostics. Here is an online interview with Churton about his interest in the ancient (and modern) Gnostics.

It was so wonderful to view this and see and hear again my mentor, Gilles Quispel. I would have just been starting my MA when this was filmed. It was also special to get a glimpse of Muhammad ali al Samman, the man who found the codices. Thank you Mark for sharing this clip.

I am uploading the YouTube video here for posterity's sake as I am sure that you all have had a chance to view it via Mark's blog already. I am sure that I will return to it time and again. I will also try to seek out the full video, perhaps without the Dutch subtitles. I am sure it must be available somewhere.

6 comments:

Mark Goodacre said...

Thanks for your post, April. It's fascinating, isn't it? I've watched it over and over again. It looks like it was released on video some years ago so it ought to be traceable somewhere on the second hand market. Failing that, it'd have to be a trip to the British Film Institute to watch it.

monkey king said...

This is sort of unrelated but maybe not. I had my copy of THE THUNDER PERFECT MIND on pre-order on amazon.com and it disappeared! I called amazon.com and they didn't know what happened. That book has just disappeared off their site as well as my wish list.

I would have emailed you privately, but my email is accessed through firefox which is wonky today too! Blast the Archons. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I was going to suggest that book for a Gnostic group I meet with.
Richard B.

April DeConick said...

I heard that the book may be switching publishers.

monkey king said...

I just received an email from Polebridge and they said it is going to Palgrave McMillian.
Richard B.

Unknown said...

Hi there! I realize that this post is from a few years ago...have you ever found the 4 part documentary this is taken from?

I've looked, and all I've found is others who are looking for the same thing. I will have to pick up his book for sure though.

Mark Goodacre said...

Yes, Thomas, I managed to track the documentary down eventually and have a complete (electronic) copy. It's fascinating viewing.